View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Frank -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Anyone ever heard of a hydrogen booster? Anyone?
Oh, that's me! I got a "hydrogen-booster" in 2007, but it didn't work for me, so now it's uninstalled and rusting away. Even the creator admits that hypermiling isn't ideal for his gizmo without lots of extra control gizmos :

Diesel Dynamometer Testing Analysis - May 2007
Quote:
The conditions where Hydrogen Boost may improve mileage the least is when the driver is already implementing driving tips like slow acceleration and cruising at low speeds and throttle settings. It may be possible that the cost of the hydrogen production could be higher than the benefits of that hydrogen to the miniscule amounts of fuel that are being combusted while using these efficient driving techniques. This is exaggerated when the operator sets his hydrogen production too high for the engine he is operating.

Our Model 20 is designed to produce enough hydrogen for even the largest gasoline engines including those of 8 liters displacement. So those who are installing and operating on a one liter Geo Metro engine may be only preventing improved mileage when producing hydrogen at 20 amps.

Recent changes in installation instructions provide for installation of a throttle position switch or intake manifold vacuum switch that would only turn the hydrogen generator on during acceleration and high cruise throttle settings. This will avoid most of the negative savings operations. Adjusting the vacuum switch to optimum setting should practically eliminate the negative savings zones.
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 03-12-2011 at 03:55 AM..