View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
guitarterry
EcoModding Lurker

stinky - '97 geo metro lsi
90 day: 44.71 mpg (US)
I think we are both on the same page. Just we are on different subject. My point was that tire size does not affect contact size. Alot of people wrongly think that. Now the side note to what is what you said. That bigger tires CAN run at a lower psi and still be stable. Then (at the lower PSI) it would give a higher contact patch. Its kind of a circle. Kind of like octane. Higher octane does not increase performance or economy,BUT if you can increase the timing that will increase the perfromance. Therefore octane allows better performance. I have also been reading about this flywheel subject. My two cents, weight will hurt economy, no way around it. BUT a engine designed with a heavy flywheel might get great gas milage. Eg. a 440 big block in a 69 charger with a super light flywheel will probably get worse gas mileage than xfi metro with a super heavy flywheel. does that prove that a super heavy flywheel is fuel efficent NO. It is just that the design need a heavy flywheel for some reason. (maybe drivability)