View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
njplanson
EcoModding Lurker

Solar Panels for 2009 Jetta TDI

I have a 2009 Jetta TDI which I run on B5 whenever possible, however I also have access to a large number of high efficiency solar cells, which I'm considering hooking up to my car, if this would make sense. Currently I have a solar cell directly charging some peripherals (iPhone, iPod, radar detector, etc.), but I'm wondering if I could connect more panels directly to my car through a 12V socket to reduce the load from my alternator onto my engine. Overall goal is of course to improve MPG. Questions I have are:

1) In my car, does the engine power the alternator which then charges/powers the battery which then powers my 12V outlets (and 110 outlet), as well as the HVAC?

2) If so, during normal operation of the vehicle, would power from solar panels plugged into a 12V socket directly power my HVAC and other 12V outlets, thereby reducing the load/draw on the alternator and therefore the engine?

I don't want to do anything to potentially damage my car electronics or void my warranty, but I would like to explore improving my MPGs (however slightly) by using the solar panels I have.

Thanks

NJP