View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #130 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by htvfd460 View Post
I don't kid around when it comes to someones vehicle and life placed in my work. If I screw up it could be their life. I take that VERY seriously.
(I also know you weren't implying that in any way)
In the case of severely underinflating tires to 28PSI, yes a mistake to the south of that mark could definately claim their life and furthermore why would you want to be only 9 PSI above the 75mph blowout mark? There are a variety of reasons why people may not check their tire pressure and a variety of reasons including environmental that could cause a drop of 9psi in pressure. I don't think it wise for car manufacturers to recommend a very low pressure that is not far above the failure pressure of the tire.

Yes, if you drive a ford explorer on 2 year old 19psi tires at 75mph they tend to blow out and that is why the low ratings were eliminated because normal people who aren't checking their pressures often had accidents.

Inflating a bit beyond 28psi is an important cushion for most normal drivers because of how close they were running things to the low pressure failure region of the tires.

Also I strongly disagree with the center wear. I have seen poorly designed suspensions cup the center due to pressure but I have never seen the center wear out prematurely even at rather high inflation pressures.

The only exception was some old Nylon threaded space savers I ran on my 1200lb car. But I had thousands of miles on 100 mile tires.

Cheers
Ryan