Thread: New Guy Alert!
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
GrapeApe
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to GrapeApe Send a message via MSN to GrapeApe
I enjoy tinkering with different systems on cars. I know that the HHO is a case by case basis and I am here for the EV intelligence, so I don't want to promote anything, but you said you don't discriminate here I'll keep my HHO banter to this thread or anyone can PM me to chat about ideas. I want to exchange ideas and knowledge about the rest of the power train though

I have seen people pull their hair out with hydrogen gen's and not get very good results if any. One thing you have to do is read every snippet of information out there. On cars before 1980, they work pretty well. After 1990 they don't work because the O2 sensors and other things see the lean readings and poor on the gas, nullifying your savings. Later than 1990 you have to install other contraptions, like a MAP sensor & O2 sensor adjuster gizmo. My 1992 Mitsubishi only gained 4 mpg, from 23 to 27 (hwy), but I haven't installed the gizmo's so I cant complain. Plus it makes the emissions almost nill and that's the beauty of the HHO gen. It drops pollution to insane lows. It cools the combustion temps so NOx barely reads. It helps carbon fuel burn as if there is a cat on non-cat cars. So I'm in it for the environment, if no mileage gain.

The Dodge 440 motor home is a 1976 25' class-C with no cat. It got 9-11 before HHO, now it gets 14-15 around town and on the open road it gets 19 mpg *IF* you keep it to 50 mph and are on flat level ground, like crossing hte desert. When I go up the 14 fwy, to US 395 then up to Bishop, CA, I averaged 16-17 for the trip. The Mojave Desert is a gradual slope like all valleys, so going north on the 1% uphill I get 17½ and on the way south, it's 1% downgrade and I get 20-21, for an average peak of 19. That desert is famous for constant blowing winds. When I go south at 50 mph and there is a 20-25 mph tail wind, i have registered the max my meter will go, 29 mpg, but my foot is off the gas 60% of every mile lol so that's cheating. I'd love to put up a mast and sail and turn the motor off and see how far I can get on wind power But I still stand by 19 peak mpg. If the car companies can say 30 hwy and reality is averaged out at 25, then I can say I get 19, but the reality is the trip will average 16 still 6 or 7 MPG better than other motor homes.

The Congress, car companies & oil companies are all going keep ripping us off until every drop of gas is out of the ground. So be it. I'm going EV and save myself money.

I love cars and do have a few. I'm not trying to be Jay Leno, but it's hard to walk up my driveway in a normal manner. I have to walk sideways to squeeze by the boat and whatever is up on the ramps, before coming to the back gate lol

I will sell off some of my projects making money to fund the toys like the T-Bucket and the boat. The first EV will be the T-Bucket so I can learn in an open environment as well as there is no other electronics, like wipers A/C, heater or radio. Lotsa room for a battery rack!