View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #38 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
roflwaffle -

There is an LA Times article that claims that the California nuclear power plants are safer because of 3-Mile Island. The San Onofre nuclear power plant is pretty much at sea level, just like Fukushima. They claim to have a 30 foot "tsunami-wall", but I can't see it from the freeway when I am driving to/from San Diego.

... googling ...

Okay, the San Onofre is on a bluff, so it's not at sea level. Sea water cooling is also a part of the San Onofre design :

San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CarloSW2
Odds are SO will be fine, but the problem is getting unlucky like Japan did. Geophysicists have speculated that a magnitude 7.6 quake is possible right next to SO, so in that context being able to withstand a 7.0 may not be good enough, especially since the cost of upgrading is probably much smaller than the cost of an accident. The same goes for Diablo Canyon if I remember right. Even if SO can withstand a 9.0 and a 30ft Tsunami, do they have something in place that can insure the sea-water intakes don't get clogged with mud/debris? While it's unlikely to ever happen, there are huge risks associated with not upgrading reactors.