View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #35 (permalink)
Pendragon
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
<snip>
I have to admit I am curious about the use of VGs in my application because they are cheap enough to simply experiment, and few people here have played with the New Beetle aerodynamics. I don't expect a big difference, especially after reading the paper on the Mitsu, but it's hardly "Unicorn Corral territory".
I am used to seeing vortex generators on the wings of some older design jet wings. In that application they are customarily installed somewhere just before the boundary layer flow separates.

This link has a typical explanation.

"Vortex generators employ the use of small strips of metal that are positioned at an angle of attack across the span of the wings. These strips create small vortices that help energize the boundary layer and keep the flows from separating. Keep in mind, the actual wings produce vortices also, but these are drastically different than the ones produced by vortex generators. These generators work by redirecting the energy of the high speed airflow above the boundary layers into the boundary layer to energize it."

I don't believe that Vortex Generators are a cure all and can see only a limited number of circumstances where they might be of use on an automobile, but it would be interesting to see the results of some experiments or computer simulations (for those with CFD capabilities).