View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #49 (permalink)
PaleMelanesian
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Engine efficiency is at its highest at low RPMs and fairly high throttle. If you want maximum efficiency, keep the engine operating there, and shut off the engine when you don't need power. "EOC and P&G".
This is key.

I have no lean burn. I'd likely use some if I had it, but not always. Bold part is absolutely true.

My routes are also low-speed. Only one portion has 55 mph limit, the rest is 35/45. My rolling average (not counting stops) is 30-35 mph.

The only thing keeping me from duplicating these numbers away from home is higher speeds on the highway. There, I get 60's instead of 80's mpg. In other cities I can do nearly as well as at home. If I drove such speeds regularly, I'd be modding my car more for aerodynamics.

It has taken me years to get to this level. It's in the log.

Pulse and EOC glide is my primary mode of driving. If the engine isn't providing acceleration, it's off.

I'm not alternator-less as long as the engine is running. EOC is naturally alternatorless. Since I do that so much, my battery runs low and I use a trickle charger at night to top it off. ~20c of electric per tank, not much at all.

I do lots of clutching - maybe 50 P&G cycles per 10-mile commute. That's one clutch to go neutral, then two to do a smooth bump-start, then sometimes a gear shift during the pulse. My clutch is handling it fine at 184,000 miles. Yes, it is tiring, but I have done it for a 600-mile highway trip.

About 3/4 throttle and 1500-2200 rpm is best for accelerating. Higher throttle goes into fuel enrichment and wastes fuel.

Rolling hills like I have are great for P&G. I pulse on the uphill, glide down the other side, maintainging fairly constant speed. That makes me more predictable for surrounding traffic. I time my P&G cycles to accomodate traffic with minimal disruption.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles

Last edited by PaleMelanesian; 03-17-2011 at 10:49 AM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaleMelanesian For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (03-17-2011), Piwoslaw (03-17-2011)