View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #4486 (permalink)
adamj12b
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotires View Post
The current will also be much less than 500A. The current will be what the current will be .... that is, I have no idea exactly how much current this motor will consume at 96V max, but it is a tiny-ish motor compared to what most folks are using. It's 7.5" in diameter and weighs maybe 75 lbs. (est.) - I lifted it in place by hand. It's designed to run at 48V, I've been told, so I advanced the brushes 10 degrees.

Current being a function of voltage and resistance, and since I'm running a small motor (higher resistance to the flow of current) and low-ish voltage, then I'm making an assumption that the current will be somewhere in the 300A maximum range. I've not been able to find any data on the motor - I do know it's from a 1977 Yale lift truck. I got the SCR controller with it (the one the lift truck used for proportional control) - I'd love to get that up and running and use it in the car - in the words of one of my blog readers, it's very "steampunk". This Open Revolt controller is going to be way better, though.
Dont be surprised if you motor pulls more then 300A. My golf cart uses a 6.7" motor and I can draw almost 200A continuous. With peaks as high as 450A. This is in a vehicle that is only 1000lbs. In the car, it will most likely be twice the weight.

Also remember, the controller is current regulated, you can have very large amounts of current at low duty cycle because voltage is low.

Have you measured the resistance of the motor yet?

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com