View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
JJW
EcoModding Lurker

The Crimson Jellybean - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 41.8 mpg (US)

White's Elephant (in Black) - '02 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
When you consider that a 68 VW Beetle got 34mpg on the highway 40 years ago, it makes you wonder at how much progress has actually been made over the past 40 years. Replacing the high maintenance points with an electronic ignition, eliminating grease fittings, and cleaning up the exhaust appears to be about it. They certainly haven't made much improvement in the fuel economy.
They've learned a ton about fuel economy, however, emissions standards went up and the mods required to clean up the engines sapped all the power and economy. Impact standards went up and cars got heavier. Marketing helped to convince everyone that 150 HP and 4 cyl. was "under powered" so manufacturers were afraid to market smaller more efficient engines. Gasoline shifted to unleaded which meant lower octane, and therefore reduced compression ratio or timing advance. All that technology they've created to improve mileage is there and functioning, which is why that Cobalt gets around the same mileage, but lasts longer, is safer, has more power, is more comfortable, requires less maintenance and puts out a fraction of the emissions the 68 Beetle did. Roll back some of the impact standards and emissions standards, and they could easily make that Beetle look pretty inefficient. (By the way, I never got much more than 25-30 mpg on any of my stock air cooled Beetles, and I've owned about 4, including a 69 identical to the 68 in question..) Cheers!