View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fr3AkAzOiD
Ecomodder

Cobalt XFE - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)

'05 Malibu V6 Tow Vehicle/Track Car - '05 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)

'08 XFE average for 2013 - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)
Bump from the grave.

Set higher goals for myself this year and while I was running 1.5 mph higher this year then last through Jan and Feb I haven't been beating last years records for March.

I have been so hung up about how the car would look and spending money on anything other then my daughter that I haven't done anything to the car for some time.

Well i nailed a pothole and it threw off my alignment so while I had that fixed today I had them bring in the total front toe down to 0.04 degrees total so hopefully that will help reduce my rolling resistance a tiny bit.

With a solid rear axle they couldn't adjust the rear so I have an Ez Shim kit on the way and plan to lower my rear toe from 0.34 degrees total to around 0.10 degree total.
Alignment checks are free so luckily I can get it checked after I'm done without spending any more $.

I then headed over to the home improvement store and picked up some foam tubing insulation and cut it down for a grill block. Right now it is set up with a 3.5 inch by 9 inch opening but if that proves to be not enough airflow I can open it up to 3.5 by 19 inches on the side of the road in a matter of 20 seconds.

For $6 I got enough to do it twice and it didn't take long to set up, the foam is large enough I just cut it to size and stuffed it in the grill. It's in there pretty good so I'm not expecting any problems with it falling out unless I go through a car wash or something.

Not sure how long it will last before the elements start breaking it down and I have to make it over again, but hopefully at least 6 months.

Not the prettiest sight but it should provide results.

Update: Closed off too much of the grill as the coolant got to 217F 4 or 5 times on the way to work with it being 72F outside. Fan kicked on and took the temps back to normal fast. I opened up the middle grill section to 3.5 inch by 19 inch so that should help. Glad I did it in small adjustable sections so I can easily keep engine temps under control.

2012 mpg

Last edited by Fr3AkAzOiD; 03-19-2011 at 12:42 PM..