View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Faster7
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Have you considered motorcycle engines?

If that's not where you want to go, maybe GMs Ecotec line. I believe any Ecotec engine will mate up to the RWD trannies in the Solstice/Sky and this would give a wide range of sizes/performance to choose from.

Look to small pickups? 4cyl out of an S10, Ranger, Tacoma, etc. Very common and inexpensive.

Nissan 240SX motor?
The more I think about it, the more I think that anything >2 liters is going to have to be a very well designed motor to do anything near what the honda R18 does. Since it has very high compression yet has the economy cam profile to reduce pumping losses, it should sip fuel like a motor even smaller than a 1.8 at cruise. Yet still makes ~140hp! If some other great BSFC numbers come up or if someone can highlight some great highway MPG feat of some engine that suggests that it must be approaching the best of the best BSFC.... That's what I'm looking for.

I'm not going to run a motorcycle engine. I'll keep the ecotec in mind, as I certainly can pick up a bolt on transmission for it but I still think the R18 honda is going to get better fuel economy. Once I get to play more with direct injection gas motors, the Ecotec and Mazda stuff could be ones that I would deal with in a swap scenerio but right now they're a bit pricey and I'm afraid of parts costs.

The later Ranger's mazda MZR motor is one I've thought some on. Aluminum block and modern fuel economy oriented cylinder head is a plus and I believe I could run a smaller 2.0 from a car. I don't think the S10 stuff is going to eek out quite the fuel economy the more modern designs will. I've seen what the tacoma 2rz/3rz motors can do, big big power under boost, but they don't seem to be as economy oriented as the other newer car-designed motors.

I have a bunch of 240SX stuff but they are certainly not too exceptional on fuel economy. Giant stroke "truck motor" .... If I get some parts together and the project seems to be moving along quickly, I may actually drop the new drivetrain into an extra 240sx I have instead of the older lighter car. I'd focus more on the 240sx if I had a taller geared diff for it as I know the aero is pretty good and I could take a bit of the weight penalty considering how much less work it will be to get finished than the older car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit86 View Post
Suzuki sidekick 16v 1.6 engine. Can do 15psi boost with very little mods. I could hit close to 30 mpg keeping up with traffic with stock tires and stock 5.12:1 gears, revving high and the tracker / sidekick is not very aero dynamic

knew a guy to run 15s with stock drietrain and 33 inch tires with a turbo
If I run into one.... I'd certainly like to give it a try over the older 3/4cyl Suzuki aluminum block motors. Looks like they make ~95hp to begin with? Not bad, wish it made the ~120hp of the 1.8 liter version. At least it should be on the very light weight end of things like the earlier ones, and 1.6 liters is nice and small.

Last edited by Faster7; 03-19-2011 at 09:30 AM..