View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
bertb
EcoModding Lurker

MoneyInMyPocket - '01 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 40.31 mpg (US)

BabysOdyssey - '05 Honda Odyssey
90 day: 20.96 mpg (US)
New Convert (bought a Civic)

Long, but I think its a good story:
I've been reading ecomodder.com for about 3-4 months. As the owner of a Dodge Dakota Quadcab with a 5.9 liter V8 I couldn't break the 15mpg mark. (Which, as it turns out is great mileage according to the Dakota forums.) I am a mobile PC/Network technician for small and med. business in one of the largest cities (by land mass) in the US, Oklahoma City. I drive about 300 miles a week. Which runs about $300 a month.

Reading ecomodder and using the driving tips I was able to get 16 mpg. That got me excited and planning to cover holes in the bumper dressing and trying to figure out the best way to implement a cool plexiglass air damn and then I was going to go for a underbody panel and the ultimate mod was to be a "stip wood" (like a stripwood canoe) aero cap bed cover a la members Fubeca and Bondo.

All that planning was really getting my eco juices flowing but then when gas prices took another jump here recently I began asking bigger questions like, "what are my reasons for owning a truck." All of the points I used to answer that question were able to be dismissed or thrown out. So, last week I sold my truck. I searched and searched craigslist and was unable to find a Civic VX (that hadn't been "customized" beyond recognition). Yesterday, I was able to find a 2001 Civic Coupe that was respectable and thus begins my life in the 30+ mpg club. I'm on my first tank so I don't know any specifics yet. But I have you folks to thank for encouraging me to start this journey.