View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
DeStoriesWind
EcoModding Lurker

Toyota Echo modifications

Hey guys. This is my first post so please be gentle. I have a 2002 toyota echo (manual) and I am averaging about 51 mpg over the last year mostly due to conservative driving techniques. Being in Arizona I also don't deal with the cold temps...

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has done any modifications to the air intake for an echo? Despite the formulation for problems using my mechanical engineering degree (which I am working toward), I have found that warmer temperatures give me better gas mileage. I have found this correlation by sticking my hand out the window and a little help from the scan gauge So, using this idea, wouldn't a cold air intake be detrimental to mpg?
I am wondering if I should design a heating system, using wasted engine heat of course, to heat the air before it goes in the intake. I would make it removable for the 110 degree F summer heat we get here...

Also, I was wondering if anyone has taken off their muffler and made a pipe that goes straight back. Two purposes: to hear the engine (since you can hardly tell if it running when sitting in traffic with no tachometer) and to possibly give a very very slight boost in mpg.

Thanks for any input:
Jason