View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
davidbr13
Extinct Vehicle Driver

Little Red Wagon - '96 Saturn SW1 VIN 8 - SOHC
90 day: 31.07 mpg (US)

Blue Basketcase - '02 Saturn SC1 VIN 8 - SOHC
90 day: 30.6 mpg (US)
Prone to breaking? I've been on the fiero yahoo group for more than a few years, with a bunch of people who have a lot more experience with the fiero than I do and I have never heard of a steering rack failure. Rag joints getting loose, sure, every now and then. Ignition modules failing, there are a few reports of that every month. EGR tubes cracking, there are reports of that every week, but never the steering rack.

As for rust, when I bought mine it had obviously been brought back from the brink, and had sat outside in a forested setting for a few years, judging by the amount of leaves and pine straw in it. The only place with rust was around the battery, however, which is a problem on these cars, since they put it in the hottest point in the car - it tends to boil over and turn the sheet metal tray into swiss cheese. There is a kit to relocate it in fact.

Adding weight is part of making an EV, unfortunately. As long as he adjusts the suspension components, it should be fine. I had custom springs wound by coil spring specialties of st. mary's, KS. They have the original designs in their computer and you just tell them how much weight you have added in the front and in the back, and what ride height adjustment you want, if any. They did a great job. Mine rides (rode) like it was on rails.