View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
gtkid2002
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bug - '69 Volkswagen Bug Base
Aeromodability of a VW Bug?

Howdy everyone. I probably should have posted this question before I went out and got myself a Bug to tear apart and redo, but I felt it still possible. Still do though.

Anyhow.

I'm going to try and strip down my VW bug I just got down to the chassis, and put an aeromodded body on it. I read somewhere that the reason why the VW Bug gets such limited gas mileage**(Mom's informed me that her 68 got 30-40mpg, current non project 69 gets 14, current project 75 doesnt run yet) because of the aerodynamics, the Cd of .41.

Would it even be worthwhile to try and continue this project and make a custom aeromodded 1975 VW Bug designed for fuel economy (As in try and get a Cd of say.. .18 or lower for a beginning goal), or should I just rebuild the carb that's on it an enjoy it as the baja it currently is (29's up front, 32's in rear, haha)?

I can post a basic outline of what I was planning on trying to make if anybody is interested, but it's nothing fixed yet. Right now I've got the bug set aside, and I'm trying to sell the tires to fund the project, but if it's best to keep it bajaed, I'll take down my ad and have some fun. Or just fix it and sell it or something.

1969 VW Bug - Daily Driver
1975 VW Baja - Current Project
Priors:
1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (RIP)
1995 Honda Prelude Si (Traded)
1980 Fiat Spider 2000 (Sold)