View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
ktaylor
EcoModding Lurker

Burgandy B*tch - '99 Buick Regal LS
90 day: 27.78 mpg (US)

Faze - '86 Yamaha FZ 750
90 day: 36.83 mpg (US)
3.8L V6 Automatic, any tips?

I know I know, its like the demigod to hypermiling but it's not too terrible on gas... Buick did a decent job, 200HP and 21mpg rating. I've been getting consistent 28 mpg tanks. My commute is a lot of hwy driving. I've started leaving a bit earlier to dodge traffic (leaving at 6 am as compared to 6:30) but still regularly drive home in rush hour traffic.

My commute times are pretty much set, and I'm on the road for an hour and a half each way, so I have a lot of time to try new techniques. I'm more looking for help with efficient acceleration and best cruising speed info. I know that max gear/lowest speed is usually best but is this always true? If I let the AT shift and then ease off the gas, letting stay in gear and let the speed drop below the shift point does it help FE significantly?

I've heard accelerating with load at 2000 rpm is ideal. The AT stays around 2000 through first and second, then I can let off the gas around 45km/h to let it go into third where the rpm's drop to around 1250 (then the TC locks up). Should I push the pedal to where its on the verge of shifting down so I can get into 4th quicker?

I'm not into putting wings or tails or anything on my car...just adjusting the nut behind the wheel.

Thanks in advance

Kode