View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 12:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
FalconFour
EcoModding Lurker

LEAF - '11 Nissan LEAF
Haha... well, I'm a UI and software guy, the hardware side of things has always eluded me. It took me weeks just to track down the bugs in my home-etched Arduino S3V3 (single sided serial v3) board wasn't working... perhaps because I used different value capacitors over the crystal? Yeah, I'm pretty bad with the electronics side. But the UI side, I spend minutes sitting here thinking about every permutation of where the characters on the screen should go, and every condition they would be used in (like sitting at a stop light, filling at the gas station, getting into the car, getting out of the car, etc)... then I consider the best way to put them on the screen. That's where most of my effort is going: making the UI easier to use. And debouncing the buttons is definitely something I plan on implementing in the software, I see that a lot already, especially when exiting my config menu, always seems to adjust the brightness (another thing I plan on menu-izing).

As for reliability, absolutely highest priority to me. Nobody wants an unstable gauge, as the unexpected power-cuts and accidental tank-reset-key-combo presses have caused me huge amounts of frustration in the past (those "arrrgh!" moments I mentioned). The mods on my mpguino (sure you've seen the thread ) have been 100% stable so far, even down to the clock ticking to the exact second weeks later (I had to update it for daylight savings time!). I should be able to carry the same reliability over to the new code, no small thanks to the excellent work you've already done with the timing and interrupt routines. Much of the same structures I plan on porting over to the new UI, like the 500ms screen looping and timing. That stuff works amazingly well, judging by the fact that my flawless-to-the-second clock is timed by the number of display refresh cycles!

Not sure about "And I know folks like the sparkle, but a bsfc indication (perhaps only accurate on the flatlands w/no wind) and CDa calculators could actually be useful for modders." though I've lately been thinking of an acceleration calculation, and merging that with the GPH data to show "how much gas it's consuming to make me go this much faster", but is that what you're referring to?