View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
FalconFour
EcoModding Lurker

LEAF - '11 Nissan LEAF
Alright. Here's the general layout of the various screens. Yeah, talk about fun, cramming all this info in there!

The system is centered around the "main screen" (see [START]). There is always a "position indicator" on the side of the screen showing where you can go, in all menus, in all screens. I know, it wastes 1 of 16 characters, but it really helps gain a point of reference in the UI. The parameters can be changed on-screen, so you can show the combination you want to see - personally, I like showing instant MPG with instant GPH, as most of my gas seems to be wasted idling. (oh, crap, I forgot idle in the current/tank stats - I'll fit those in.) But I occasionally want to glance at my current stats and tank stats. Those would be accessible with a combo key press (center+l or center+r), which breaks out of "instant mode" and lets you flip through the modes, unless the selection times out (goes back to instant mode) or is confirmed with center (goes to that mode). Then, you can view the page until you hit center to exit and go back to instant. That's the system I think would be most useful, as it's rare I would stare at the "current" screen for any extended period of time while driving.

"Idle" or "Screensaver" mode would dim the screen (configured level) and display a clock and a graphic (maybe - we have 8 custom chars to work with, just enough space). It would alternate between remaining miles (based on tank MPG and tank gallons), and tank average MPG. It would go into this mode in the same way as it currently dims the screen... but the big problem with the current mode is that it also clears all "current" values (what if I wanted to view my last trip's info?). It'd wake up on any button-press (without performing that button), but wait until it receives a VSS or injector pulse before clearing the current data.

"Settings" would be a list of configurable options, both preferences and system settings. Simple enough... select from the list and it enters the config menu as it currently does, just a little easier to "escape" from (just hit "X" and it backs out to the menu). Some menus would be application-specific, like "contrast", which would load custom characters and display a "bar" that no longer has us poking around various digits and getting our screen messed up for tweaking the wrong digit

And last (so far) but not least, "Big" mode of course employs the "improved large font" for easier readability, and perhaps if I can shuffle custom characters around, I can also display a small "peak meter" using the remaining 4 characters on the lower line. Or something. That may not be doable, but it's a thought.

Thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to FalconFour For This Useful Post:
TOOQIKK (03-23-2011)