Thread: Swift brick?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
There are carbon fiber cowls out there. If I could save $200 in gas within the first two years by buying one, I might consider it.

Possibly, but the wipers on the 2005 Civic sit very high above the hood compared to most cars. The wind coming over the hood hits the windshield, moves upward, and then hits the wipers. I'm used to my Ford Escape, which had a rather high hood and the wipers were below the hoodline.
Ah yes,a neighbor has a late model CIVIC and the hood and windshield form basically a continuous line.I should be taking my own advice (this is happening a lot lately) and consider each vehicle on a case-specific-basis.I might mention that at Bonneville,I taped a cardboard "cowl" onto the CRX,as a "fillet",to smooth the flow onto the windshield.To a thousandth of a mile per hour,it showed nothing,however,the hoodline and windshield differ significantly from the late model cars and certainly could react more favorably to such mods.Good luck with the carbon fiber and let us know how it all shakes out.