View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #4529 (permalink)
isaac_alaska
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post
I'm going the IGBT route myself. I sort of understand what you mean (and what Jack talked of earlier, but I want to make sure I know EXACTLY what I'm doing before I turn money into blown IGBTs.

If you've got 'dual' IGBT mondues, how do you connect them? I know one side is the power side and one side is the freewheel side; or at least I think I know that.

Is it something easy to explain or diagram for people who feel like they're losing to a box of rocks when it comes to understanding all of this?
I'm in the same boat. i was under the impression that the diode simply went in parallel with the igbt and pointed back the other way. but with a two pack module...they're in series. but the other part of the module couldbe configured in parallel i suppse, if the emitter of the first was tied to the same point as the collector of the second....i think there's something important here that i'm missing. can you maybe give us a simple picture or drawing of how they have to be connected? also, a physical second piece could be used as a diode, correct? (as you mentioned that with the ones i bought, one would have to be set up as a diode)

if so, i have two of these which i was kind of planning to use as diodes, once i know how to connect them..
2 - Hockey Puck SCR 800V 550A T720 Welder Power Supply - eBay (item 300539348666 end time Apr-20-11 11:53:48 PDT)

as a side note, how well do diodes parallel? i'm guessing it's not a huge issue, since the mosfet power board must use a dozen diodes in parallel...i think.