View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #4531 (permalink)
isaac_alaska
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricZX2 View Post
I second not using scrs. I ran a 500amp model for a while. They fail in funny ways if you run voltages too high above their rating. Mine failed on as I was coming up on a red light with a long line of cars...like forgetting you had the cruise control set but your brakes don't do anything. Luckily there was a dirt shoulder and the ignition contractor still worked. Getting home was interesting using controller bypass...
the SCR's wouldn't be used as switches, they'd be connected as diodes. At least i'm pretty sure they only allow current to flow in one direction...from what i've read about them anyway. i was planning to connect them as always conducting, so they'd essentially be giant diodes. So they only way they could fail would be to fail open (what's the consequences of them failing open?) or they could fail in such a way that they always conducted current in the reverse direction....i guess i should read up on them.

would someone be so kind as to link the power board schematic on here? even the mosfet power board schematic would be appreciated, i think i could see how everything gets connected up based on that.

*edit*

these are 800V scr's, and the nominal voltage of my battery pack is going to be 355, with a maximum of about 405. i would think this should give me enough of a margin of safety to not worry about them failing, as long as i keep them cooled

Last edited by isaac_alaska; 03-23-2011 at 02:47 PM..