View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
LostCause
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Nicely put. This has become a very informative thread. I think you have answered why square contact patches are better than skinny ones.

I believe this thread has been definitively answered: The lowest rolling resistance can be achieved by the skinniest tire that allows a high enough psi to maintain a square contact patch.

Now that the issue of excessive tire width has been determined, I'd like to look at the opposite end of the issue. When do tires become too skinny?

I've heard that the lowest rolling resistance that is routinely achieved are steel wheels on steel rails (trains). If that is the case, wouldn't the ultimate conventional road tire be one that is under high pressure and sized just large enough to prevent road damage/deflection from localized pressure? I realize tradeoffs are being made between efficiency and practicality, but practicality aside...

Lastly, how does silicon lower a tire's rolling resistance? I'm pretty sure the main additive in LRR tires is silicon, but what benefit does it provide. I'll research on my own, but if anyone knows the answer already...

- LostCause