View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Faster7
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Suzuki G-series, the 1.3 DOHC makes 100BHP, add a 1.6 block from the Samurai and you could get 120BHP. There are also RWD boxes from the Samurai but I'd recommend getting an adapter to fit the tranny of your choice. They're efficient, lightweight aluminum at 180lbs or so, and available from '86-2001, from carb to multi-port EFI. They also have a bit of an aftermarket and some support at teamswift.net, and they are global so it's not just the piddly US fans.
I like most everything I see with them but availability is slowing me down. Not that they're scarce, but I've ran into some CHEEEEAP other options...

Yaris/Echo/Prius motors, CRAZY light weight, ~100hp (in the non prius version) and I see them for $250-$500 all day long, most of them are very low mileage and as many as there are I'm sure I can get a cheap one to get going and then get a cream puff to swap in later. The intake manifold will require a lot of re work so it's not back into the firewall. I don't like the VVT so much but since the prius doesn't have it, I bet I can lock the cams at some point using Prius bits if need be. Of course the whole CARS are cheap when wrecked so I could possibly be talked into using factory computer instead of DIY. Factory TRD supercharger was offered so I'm sure if I got frisky down the road I could lightly turbo it to beat the ~140hp Honda R18 motor (my current favorite) and still siiiiiiiip on the fuel.

Hope to secure a broken one within the next week to start mock up on.