View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Non-turbo Mercedes diesel drivability input wanted

I have been looking for something new to drive, and I found an imported from Europe 1988 Mercedes 250 D. It has a 4 speed automatic. It is a really neat little car, and only has 133,000 kms on it. It pretty much runs and drives like new. It's a total bare bones car with manual windows, no tilt, etc - all it has are factory alloy wheels and A/C.

Now I know it's not going to be a race car, but sadly because of where the car is I can't take it out for a long test drive, and I have never owned a diesel Merc before. Anyone out there have any input on just how slow the non turbos are? I am used to my 5 speed Civics, which get similar mpg's, but at least I know with them that I can drive up to the mountains without holding up traffic etc. If you want to pass someone on the highway, are you out of luck? Most of my driving is local, but sometimes I have to take a 4 or 5 hour trip and don't want to be banging my head on the steering wheel for not finding a 300D instead. Thanks.