View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
PA32R
EcoModding Apprentice

LR3 - '06 Land Rover LR3 HSE
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
If you're coasting engine off, doing anything other than rolling to a stop will lower your potential fuel economy. Yes, we're talking about tiny differences.

If you're idling and moving at a low speed, then yes, you should just go ahead and park.

The take-home message is: avoid the brake pedal. Parking is one time you may have the option of rolling to a complete stop because there's no set 'stop line' if you have flexibility on which spot you can choose.
But... unless you can get closer to where you'll be headed when you leave, it does no good.

That's something I've noticed in the short time I've frequented this site and forum. There are tips that recommend, for example, taking a longer route with less stops. That may or may not help - the goal is (or at least is in my case) minimization of fuel consumption consistent with the life one has chosen to live. That's not necessarily the same as maximizing the indicated or calculated m.p.g. For example, if you can get to work by driving a route with stops and it's 15 miles at 30 m.p.g., you'll use 0.5 gallons. If you substitute a route that's 20 miles with less stops and you can get 35 m.p.g., you'll burn 0.57 gallons, or 14% more fuel. This, to me, is the opposite of the way an ecomodder should think.

My $.02...