View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #89 (permalink)
zonker
500 Mile Metro Traveler

'89 Dakota LB - blue - '89 Dodge Dakota V6 LE
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

'17 Fiat 124 - SunFiat - '17 Fiat 124 Spider Classica
90 day: 30.51 mpg (US)

'89 Metro - The Egg - '89 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 50.71 mpg (US)

'94 Alto - The Box - '94 Suzuki Alto Ce-L
90 day: 39.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRABill View Post
WOW what a thread ... so much info don't know where to start?

1st off good luck on the crown vic good durable car that can take a beating..

On that note you are a fool to cut your coil springs there are dozens of reasons I say that but mainly its because your ride will suck because the spring has everything to do with its rating and little to do with its height.

back int he 70's if you wanted to lower a car take a torch t o the spring heat it till itglows throw a few frinds on that side of the car and voila you have a low rider with zero suspension. aerodynamics from this Umm no ...

If you want to lower your car put it on airbags and save weight but be ready to shell out a lot of cash. How do I know this? if you have any practical auto knowledge or moron friends that you warned a dozen times that still do it then.... well you know... or f you like to race cars and want the tires to hook up you learn fast how to triangulate your suspension and how adjustable drag shocks and progressive springs are a godsend.
"well I know" never to torch a spring, and airbags make a car handle like the car needs to be arrested for a DUI.
Removing 1 coil or less will lower the car maybe an inch, and increase harshness less than a set of aftermarket lowering springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRABill View Post
Tires whis on the Vic i would go with a 235 in the front and a 245 out back using a 70 series sidewall to retain a close to stock ride height but less meat on the road but enough to be safe. I rad 215/60/15 on my vette and even 195 65 15 on a firebird on my street strip cars a while back and they are terrible and unsafe on the street when you have 3200lbs or more rwd car.. 235 seemed just right in handling.
215 is the oem size, so unless all oem base model crown vics are unsafe, I hardly think he's going to have a problem with a tire in a similar width.