View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 02:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
ktaylor
EcoModding Lurker

Burgandy B*tch - '99 Buick Regal LS
90 day: 27.78 mpg (US)

Faze - '86 Yamaha FZ 750
90 day: 36.83 mpg (US)
rmay, thanks for your detailed response.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've had it a lot lately where I'm hugging too close to the shift point and from not realizing, slowly drop passed it, then I have to accelerate without the TCC locked up and cringe every time. I know the route really well and I'm going to start gaining a bit more speed before the big hills. There's one in particular thats really long and I need to be doing 90km/h and have the throttle pushed right down to where its on the verge or shifting and it still bleeds speed to 70km/h but doesn't down shift. If I'm lucky the light thats halfway up the hill stays green and I don't have to start from a dead stop on the long hill. Is it better to keep it locked in 4th on this hill or let it bleed down to like 50 km/h (3rd gear) or so and wait until I crest before picking it back up? Also, starting from a stop going uphill should I still accelerate at 2000 rpm? It obviously takes a lot longer to get into 3rd.

Thanks again everyone for all the tips. I'm glad to hear another Buick out there is getting over 30 mpg.