View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #4556 (permalink)
isaac_alaska
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Its actually designed and built by a guy in san francisco. I'm sure he would sell them to others and include whatever modifications are required. This one is done to my own specs and only took a few days. Price was very good and orders of magnitude less than what i was quoted this side of the atlantic.

Jack Bauer solves all problems is "24" hours or less
would you mind sharing your source? i could make my own in the machine shop but it looks like this guy does very good work and would save me a lot of time. i'm still not sure if i'm going to use liquid cooling or just replace the heat exchanger under the machine with a heat sink.

Originally the snowmobile engine was cooled by a heat exchanger under the tunnel; snow is thrown up from the track against the heat exchanger, and then the heat is carried from the engine to the exchanger with a liquid coolant. i was originally going to replace the engine in the loop with a small pump and a heat sink which would attach to the igbt's.

The other option i'm considering is simply mounting the motor controller on top of the tunnel, and cutting a hole through the tunnel. i could have a heat sink with igbt's mounted on one side of it (igbt's would be inside the motor controller enclosure) and cooling fins on the other side. the cooling fins would protrude through a square hole in the tunnel, and be cooled directly by snow from the track. the only thing that i can think of that would be a concern with this method is that the heat might not be as evenly distributed as it would be with a water interface.

maybe i could use some sort of hybrid heat exchanger/ heat sink, where liquid would flow through it in an extremely short loop, simply for the purpose of distributing heat more evenly.