View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
nemo
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
I have 2006 Grand Prix and the shifting may not be identical but here is my experience.
I use the 2000 rpm shift also, but have found the letting off to force the up shift to third to be counter productive. If you add more load in third you can get it so it will go in to 4th and lock quicker. This is were the gauge would really help out. No I can't hit this every time even with a gauge. If you do get it right you will know it. It will pull and shift smooth right up to lock up.

If you haven’t read the “108 hypermiling / ecodriving tips” do so, much wisdom there. On a recent trip tip # 14 was proven with the ultra gauge I was driving in to a head wind and tucking back in line was good for 2 mpg and this was at a safe following distance.

14) The 'corridor effect'
All else being equal, traveling at a constant speed on a freeway within a flow of traffic (in the same direction) is more efficient than going the same speed in isolation. The reason is aerodynamic: a flow of traffic generates a localized wind current in the direction of travel. You will benefit from this artificial breeze.

Looking forward to seeing your results.