View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
ktaylor
EcoModding Lurker

Burgandy B*tch - '99 Buick Regal LS
90 day: 27.78 mpg (US)

Faze - '86 Yamaha FZ 750
90 day: 36.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
I use the 2000 rpm shift also, but have found the letting off to force the up shift to third to be counter productive. If you add more load in third you can get it so it will go in to 4th and lock quicker. This is were the gauge would really help out. No I can't hit this every time even with a gauge. If you do get it right you will know it. It will pull and shift smooth right up to lock up.
I'm pretty sure we have the same transmissions in our cars. One question, are you saying not to let it drop into third when the TCC locks-up, but keep it around 2000 rpm until it shifts to fourth? That kind of makes sense just to get it in there faster.

I have read through the tips page (more than once) and know of the corridor effect. It's hard to do when the flow is 100-105km/h and I'm putting along at 90. It nice when I can sit behind a semi who's not doing much faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
What tire pressure are you using? For a weighty car such as the Regal, inflating to sidewall max will decrease ride quality, but since you are on the highway quite a bit and the Regal has plenty of ride quality to spare, going up to 44 psi may not be noticeable, except at the pumps. Some good quality tires allow up to 51 psi as well.

What condition is your oil?
I'm running my tires at 50psi right now. My tires are the latter ones mentioned with the 51 psi sidewall max. I noticed a huge difference right away after doing this too in FE and rolling distance, and you're right, I've noticed very little change in ride quality. What do you mean by "except at the pumps?"

I do need an oil change soon but had one done a little over 3 months ago. Before that was around 8-14 months

Any thoughts on that syncromesh trans fluid?

I might crack and buy an ultragauge, they're only like $60 right now on sale. I'm worried it'll make me too crazy about FE though...