View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Several people say they wouldn't buy a Volt because it doesn't seat five, yet rave how much they love their Geo Metro. Last time I checked the seating capacity on that car wan't much different....
Yay! I thought I was the only Metro owner who made that complaint!
I admit I am prejudiced against the Volt, and would probably find anything I could to tear it down, because I'm mad that the world insists on comparing a hybrid to an electric car. Furthermore, I think the Volt could have been an EXCELLENT electric car if they ditched the engine/gas tank and all related ICE stuff and filled the empty space with more batteries. That being said, I had a feeling in the back of my mind that maybe the 4 person seating might have been an exaggeration and that you'd be able to fit 3 kids back there in real life. But looking at the pictures, there's just no way. I love my Geo Metros to death, all of them, but the fact that they seat 4 is one serious drawback; but hey, for $500 I'll take it. If I'm going to fork out $40,000 or more though, it better be damn-near perfect! This kind of goes along with people wanting to demean my electric car because it gives the EV world a bad name. But when I look at all the different EV's of all types, they seem so very limited to me, and frankly useless: a bunch of 2-seaters, single cab pickups, kit cars with no top or windows, cars with a backseat full of batteries, no trunk, etc. But it seems OK with everyone- as though I am the only person in the world with a family. The typical family has over 2 kids, so will the typical family be forced to purchase a car that can never allow the entire family to go somewhere? And I am somehow an incredibly small minority? I do realize that there are always several cars in the family, and parents spend a good deal of time commuting alone, but it just seems wrong that right out of the gate you have to be stuck with a car that will never be the one to be taken on those unforgettable family getaways.....