View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #645 (permalink)
gone.s2
EcoModding Lurker

der Öl-Brenner - '01 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Consumption calculated from PID 04 / LOAD_VALUE ???

Curious if anyone's ever attempted to use this PID along with a flow constant to calculate rate for gas or LPG vehicles. I cobbled together some quick + dirty changes yesterday to see what would happen for my diesel, using a wild guess for injector flow rate. After a little testing and a ballpark tweak of the flow rate, my first session looks very promising. The trip / average numbers from my first commute test were very close to what I've been logging at fill-ups before any calibration. My calculations are way off for instantaneous, but it got me thinking of the possibility of a universal replacement for the maf / 14.7 method. Obviously it has the downside of requiring some trial and error for calibration, but it appears (at least on my ECU) to compensate for ECT based mixture changes, and DFCO as I mentioned previously.

Having dabbled with lean burn on another vehicle I own, I can tell you that especially for cold-start idling, part-throttle cruising and wide-open foolishness, 14.7:1 goes way out the window. I don't know for sure that this is plausible for all applications, but if it is it would greatly simplify rate calculations. If it would happen to work for speed-density applications it would also free up some processor bandwidth and / or memory for other cool stuff.