View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
jim-frank
EcoModding Lurker

ScabbySentra - '93 Nissan Sentra SE
90 day: 44.37 mpg (US)
My new car- 73 Opel GT

I'm restoring an opel gt, and plan to ecomod it in various ways. The first will be a short air dam at the front. The car has a fairly nice belly pan under the nose, so it remains to be seen if I'll put the dam at the very front, or after the nose pan. The Opels have a lot of under hood heat problems, so I'll be trying to vent the engine compartment behind the front wheels.

It has a 1.9 liter engine, with fairly low compression, and a carburetor. These factors are not the greatest for economy, but I have plans to use a vapor carb eventually. I have a ported and polished intake manifold, and a Weber carb that I can get jetted as lean as I want.

I'm going to build a performance engine for the car, with Somender Singh's grooved head design, higher compression ratio, lean burn carb, and exhaust gas temperature monitoring on each cylinder. That way, I can see just how lean a mixture can get without slagging my engine. I'll also have a cockpit adjustable ignition timing control, and I'm thinking that water or steam injection might also be of interest, as may hydrogen injection.

This car is for fun, rather than daily use, and using it as an eco test bed will be great fun.

Any ideas that anyone else thinks I should look into for this car? I want to have sporty performance available, with economy available too...