View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
acropora1981
EcoModding Lurker

Jet - '99 Suzuki Swift Hatchback
'99 Swift bad fuel economy mystery...

Hey there,

About 8 months ago I bought an automatic '99 Swift to replace my automatic '96 Metro. I purchased a scangauge a few months ago, and I've confirmed its accuracy using the odometer and set it up properly etc.

The problem I'm having is that I'm getting about 8 LHK on the highway and about 12 LHK city average! This is despite no hard accelaration, not driving agressively, etc. I've been practicing my eco-friendly driving techniques that I've read about on the internet.

I have tried a few things to try to get better economy out of it; their was a bad gasket seal on the transmission that got fixed for about $150 and the exhaust system rotted out a bit and was noisy so I replace the exhaust for about $300. Not bad for a car I bought for $1000. It has 134000 KM on it (Im in Canada)... also replaced spark plugs.

Do I need to do something else here? Transmission flush?

Whats up with this car? My Geo got WAY better economy than this, and from what I've read I should be getting more like 6 LHK hwy, and 8 city...

??? I bought this sucker thinking I was getting basically the same as my '96 and its really messing with my fuel cost plans...