View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by acropora1981 View Post
How does one go about checking the engine temperature? Can the scangauge do that? Is it FWT for the temp?
Yes, FWT is coolant temp in Fahrenheit, CWT is coolant temp in Celsius.
Quote:
How long should it take for the engine to reach optimal temperature?
That is going to depend on how much load the engine is under, in the winter 2-3 miles/5K and it should be warm.

Quote:

How do I ensure that the engine is going into a closed loop? What does that even mean, and why is it important?
Closed loop means that the computer is not running a preset program but that it is instead choosing how much fuel is being burned based off of the oxygen content of the exhaust, based off what the o2 sensor is reading, your p0036 engine code says that you have a bad heater on your down stream o2 sensor, not sure if this would keep it from going in to close loop or not, your scan gauge has the option of telling you when you are in closed loop, it should go in to closed loop once it is warmed up unless you are at full throttle.

Quote:

I have two engine codes that pop up now and again but I cleared them recently (the mechanic said they were not important issues).
Was that mechanic worried about your mileage or just about you not being stranded?
Do you have your scan gauge operators booklet? if so I recommend that you finish reading it as it will better help you use the tool you have.