View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 03:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
JMPVW73
EcoModding Lurker

MILEAGEMAX - '05 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2wd Regular Cab W/T
Rick, Edited #14

Slow, I didn’t track the mileage. I’m sure it did better, not 16. I nearly bought a 68 Newport 10 years ago. Tell me where to read about it.
The Imperial is a 4 door w/ a 440 and lots of options. They didn’t sell many of those around here. I need a set of hubcaps; mine are wrong (70’s Cadillac).

I bought the Imperial from the family of the original owner 8 years ago. It is a good car but not a survivor by Texas standards. The dash name plate bears the doctors name. His wife drove the car to church and the grocery well into the 1990’s. I live about 20 miles from the estate and have been told a lot of stories about the car.

I love the car. It handles very well for a big 60’s car but the turning radius sucks.
I drove it for two years until 3rd gear started slipping. I drove it in town a bit longer. The top started cracking 2 years ago and I stripped that off. I will do a full restoration but have a few cars in line before it. It is the car people ask about most often after my VW Squareback; lots of word of mouth out about it.

The brakes ran dry when I drove it home, downhill!!! I topped it off the day before but it leaked out overnight. Not the best time to look for where the park brake is. It still has the single circuit.
Shortly after I got a set of tires and before I put them on I had one of the rears separated tread. I got the bumper up to eye level with the factory bumper jack and tire was still on the ground! I chickened out, went home and got a floor jack.
One time I was drinking gas like crazy and stopped to find fuel pump was squirting more on the ground than to the carb. A parts store was near by and I changed it in the parking lot.
I moved it from my house to the garage on a <16’ trailer w/ a 89 Chevy 1500. All the way to the front, head first it had way too much tongue weight and got to swaying bad at 45MPH. We drove the rest of the way at 35MPH on the Interstate. It’s a good thing it was past 1AM.

I like this book and web site.
Amazon.com: Imperial 1964-1968 Photo Archive (9781882256235): P.A. Letourneau: Books
Online Imperial Club (OIC) for Imperial, Chrysler Imperial, and Chrysler New Yorker Brougham Enthusiasts