View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 05:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
JMPVW73
EcoModding Lurker

MILEAGEMAX - '05 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2wd Regular Cab W/T
Trailers and Loads

Many have asked for a towing or load control and studies of mileage with each.

I do not have a regular load for the truck such as a drop in or tow behind camper.
Nor do I have a boat, race car or lawn equipment that will be towed frequently and weigh the same each time.

I will pull less than 10000 pounds with an open dual axel car trailer between 16' and 20’ long across distances of no more than 1000 miles. I may eventually pull an open gooseneck trailer flatbed or incline.
I may eventually work on a nose fairing, wheel skirts and other aerodynamic improvements for the still to be acquired trailer and share those as well.

The car trailer is also not a constant as I currently loan one of several car trailers from friends and make short local trips. Such short trips are negligible in mileage studies.
In the event that I do pull a trailer across a notable distance I will not be repeating the same trip minus the trailer. It is possible that I will be loaded one way and empty another but test route needs to be a loop to be valid.

The only trailer I have full access to is a small 4x8’ mini van axel trailer I pulled with a mini truck. I will not be able to see it behind the 2500HD and it won’t hold very much weight (<1000lbs).
I could also pull a VW Beetle around with a tow bar and even add weight to it but I will also have a hard time seeing it.

I think a bed load would need to be at least 500lbs to work as a control. I could come up with something around 1000lbs to run around with.

As for repeatability I can try to limit driving strictly to commute for the work week and run one week with and another with out load for mixed driving mileage.
I’m toying with making loops down the interstate and back with and without load for Highway mileage. I won’t want to do this much more than 150 miles round trip.

If anyone wants to fund my research feel free to send a check. I’ll drive as far as you like.