View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #257 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOQIKK View Post
gonna have to call you out of this one.

by making the engine breath easier you make it more efficient. louder yes but more efficient. it will take less gas and less throttle to reach speed and run more efficiently. as long as you dont stick your foot in it to take off...lol but its fun to some times.....try running around your block but only being able to breath through a straw .....and then do it with out the straw and breath normally. the same is for a stock intake, exhaust....it runs but if you let it really breath it really runs!
By moving more air, you're also moving more fuel. As for your straw analogy, who would burn more calories, the guy walking around the block because he can't take in enough oxygen to run or the guy running because his airway is unrestricted?

I have an RSX-s for gawd's sake and I can tell you without a doubt, it burns gas very efficiently at wide open throttle. Since my goal isn't to burn gas anymore, it is to save gas, I rarely see wide open throttle anymore... and I'm getting 38mpg during the winter and 41 during the warmer weather.