View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #258 (permalink)
PaleMelanesian
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOQIKK View Post
gonna have to call you out of this one.

by making the engine breath easier you make it more efficient. louder yes but more efficient. it will take less gas and less throttle to reach speed and run more efficiently. as long as you dont stick your foot in it to take off...lol but its fun to some times.....try running around your block but only being able to breath through a straw .....and then do it with out the straw and breath normally. the same is for a stock intake, exhaust....it runs but if you let it really breath it really runs!
Bold emphasis mine. By letting up on the throttle, you're adding back as much restriction as the new intake removed. If you didn't, the car would end up going faster. So you let up even more. End result - same as before.

Sure, a stock intake may be restrictive at WOT and high rpm, but we're not running at those levels. My car has a 7000 rpm redline. I usually run it below 2000 rpm. Even if I'm at WOT, which I'm not, that's only 28% of the maximum potential airflow. Adding a little to the maximum won't do much at all in the normal operating range.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles

Last edited by PaleMelanesian; 03-30-2011 at 10:14 AM..