View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #56 (permalink)
echomodder
NES Collector

Tom Baker - '03 Toyota Echo
90 day: 44.53 mpg (US)

Big Blue - '03 Dodge Caravan 2WD
90 day: 20.85 mpg (US)
Ok I’m going to catch a lot of flack for this post, but here it is. I did not poll witch type of plant you would want in your town because well duh everyone, including me, would pick solar. If I had to pick nuclear or coal I would pick coal. At least if the coal plant had a catastrophic failure it can be cleaned up and I could still live in my town after the disaster. As far as wind power I live in Massachusetts and they have been trying to put a wind farm of the coast for the last 10 years. They have done all kinds of studies on its “impact” on the environment. They have cited that it will kill some seagulls. Now don’t get me wrong I care about the environment, but to a point. If some birds die from flying into the wind turbines so be it. Now if the plant were to kill off a keystone species, then I would have a problem with it. Other wise humans come first. Same thing goes for hydro. Some fish species will die but the lake that supplies the plant will allow other species to thrive. I also agree the conservation of energy is very important, but controlling the price to try to get people to use less. I don’t like the sound of that, only in emergencies, otherwise let the free market set the price.

Miles Displaced By
Walking = 3.6