View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #75 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you've misunderstood something somewhere along the line, since you seem to have translated industrial facilities, shopping malls, crowds, and all the rest of (sub)urban life into "anyone or any entity".
Since you said in a previous post "I don't want to live near anything (other than trees, mountains, etc)", That sounds like you prefer to live in seclusion.

regarding neighbors:
Quote:
It's hard to put an exact number on it, because it depends on the neighbors and the nature of the country. But pick a typical (but now, alas, probably a historic memory) English or New England rural area, with villages & small farms. Or perhaps the High Plains or the Mongolian Steppe with wandering bands of horse nomads...
Interesting, because my wife grew up on such a farm in New England, and they still exist. Farms are often active, noisy places; they're often not the epitome of bucolic tranquility. Recent arrivals (new neighbors) are often annoyed by the actual experience of country life, as it is not always the serenity or solitude they desired and expected before moving to a rural environment.

As for the Mongolian Steppes - that's really solitary. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a preference for seclusion, but that's the essence of reclusion. There really is no other word for it.