View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
hood splitter

If viewed from above,the Template produces a semi-hemispheric full compound curvature windscreen as on Varna,or as Paul Jaray called the curved glass panoramic windshield ( with radiused header ).
On my T-100 I have tin-canning of the hood occurring at the cowl area do to the high stagnation pressure there along with thin sheetmetal.
I would like the $3,000 GTP,laminated safety glass windshield which is very much like Varna,or visa-versa,and my hood blister is an attempt to soften the pressure spike in this area,fill in any areas of circulation,and alter the angle of attack of the airstream as it moves towards the glass,A-pillars,and windshield header.
Since 2005 I have added Plexiglass side wings which actually contact the leading edges of the A-pillars and an aluminum spoiler along the trailing edge of the blister with just enough clearance as not to interfere with the wipers.
I cannot offer any scientific attributes to the blister.Rainwater is driven up it all the way rather than stall a foot in front of the glass.
Paul Jaray claimed a 10-15% drag penalty for the Tatra-77 because of its lack of 'panoramic' windscreen of which he had no control over Ledwinka's decisions.
The Cd 0.137 Ford Probe-V has an almost amorphous front end,hard to distinguish between bonnet/hood-cowl-windscreen.
Might be some 'high-hanging' fruit.