View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Smooth wheel covers for the Prius

Its been a couple months, so the Prius was due some attention. I'm also the one driving the Prius on a daily basis now that me and my wife got new jobs (she wanted to go back to a more 'fun' manual trans car, the Paseo). So, this time around it got smooth wheel covers.

I went the route of pizza pan covers bolted to the trim rings on the Prius wheels. However, I didn't want fasteners sticking out of the smooth covers (dunno why, just wanted it that way), so I did something a little different.

First, I took the trim rings and drilled some holes in them for the attachment points.

Next, I screwed some rivet nuts to the back side of the trim ring. I then put a blob of JB weld on the backs of them and then set it down on the pizza pan while centering it.

After that cured, I put another layer of JB weld on top of it to secure things better.

The last thing I had to do was kind of a querky thing. I had washers that I put under the heads of the screws on the trim rings. To get everything to fit up nice, I had to grind pretty big flats on the washers to get them to clear the wheel when they are installed.

Overall, it worked out quite nice though.

aerohead (04-02-2011), BamZipPow (03-31-2011), kir_kenix (04-01-2011), NeilBlanchard (03-31-2011), Rokeby (03-31-2011)