View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
payne171 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by payne171 View Post
If we're talking about saving fuel on a grand scale, this may be a bigger game-changer than the Prius. Yeah, yeah, I know, Blasphemy! But...
This appears to be a system that GM would be capable of putting into EVERY car they make with much less effort than any other carmaker's system. Just imagine if GM offered a 25% improvement on the entire model line, including Corvettes, Camaros, and all of those trucks. GM's products would save more fuel in the first year than every Prius ever made. Me likey!
I would call it a "mild hybrid+" drivetrain. The Saturn mild-hybrids had the stop-start technology and the mini battery pack for eAssist. The Cruze-Eco has the aero-goodies. But the technology was/is not across the product line, it was/is a pri$ey option.

The Lacrosse (and Regal!) combines both MPG strategies and is not an option. I am very interested in what the LaCrosse sales will be because we should be able to gauge customer acceptance. It's also well-timed for the increase in gas prices.

Buick is now funneling Opels. That was going to be Saturn's job before they were closed down. I wonder if Opels will also have this technology standard?

At 26/37 MPG, that was my personal minimum (old EPA) MPG standard for compact cars. Sedans have come a long way.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society