View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttlefishmenagerie View Post
We plan to leave June 4th.

It'll give us about 9 days to do the project, which i think will probably start a bit over 2 weeks from now. Since we won't have much else to do during that time, we should be able to get quite a good amount accomplished. Also, we don't really care about quality, just drag coefficient and sturdiness.

The part i'm most apprehensive about is the boattail. I'm not really sure how to go about attaching a tent sort of structure to the back of a hatch. Maybe some securing points plus some good old duct tape? Any thoughts here? Also, does anybody think that a light amount of inflation (most likely from a computer cooling fan or two) of this boattail would help? I was thinking it might cut down on the flappiness of the plastic sheeting we plan to use. It's some fairly heavy plastic, the kind used on the outside of sandbag dikes.
Could you strap a bicycle rack (which has very robust attachments)to the hatch,and attach your structure to that? Maybe look at yard sales,garage sales,flea-markets;get one on the cheap?You wouldn't have to worry about the thing falling off and creating chaos .And as it would "move" with the hatch,it would still allow the hatch to open and close.