View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
no good news for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
I hesitate to ask the question here...but here it goes.....

A good while back I bought 26 airtabs from Ebay for maybe 1/2 price...now I'm wondering where to put them? (please...no comments from the peanut gallery)

Here's the car...or an example of it...

The 2 most likely areas might be on the windshield right before it curves over onto the top...or has this been designed to keep the flow from detaching?

And maybe on the back from the tail lights down to the bumper on the sides? Maybe some in front of the front/rear wheel openings?

And while I'm asking...any other obvious ways to decrease aero drag with this shape?

And how well does the lip on top of the roof function?

Don't make me have to sell these to somebody else!!!
suspect,the turbulators were intended for a notchback type car with a backlight angle so steep as to produce immediate flow separation at the header and no chance for re-attachment on the boot/trunklid rear.
The Focus,being a wagonback type car simply has no place for air to re-attach to,as a Focus,Civic,Sentra,Accent,Lancer,etc. notchback coupe/sedan.
There is no other place you could place them which would not actually INCREASE the drag.If you have a family member or friend with a naughty notchback you might donate the tabs to the cause.
The upshot for you,is that your car has the beginnings of a really good Breer/Fachsenfeld/Kamm roofline.If you were to just extend what you have using the Aerodynamic Streamlining Template as a guide you can enjoy some real savings at the pump.