View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #35 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,232 Times in 4,658 Posts
aero-masochizm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
Not to beat a dead horse here, but if there are any questions I'm willing to give them a go. Such as: What does viscous mean? What is the free air stream? Where do babies come from?

Hopefully you master this tonight, because tomorrow we derive the Navier-Stokes equation!

juuuuuuust kidding...

- LostCause
LostCause,I'm crying "UNCLE------UNCLE!!!!!!!!!! I've been looking at the formula you posted.It's delicious! So good in fact that I poked at both eyes with an ice-pick and put my head in a vise just feel better after viewing it. And as resourceful as I consider myself to be,I've been unable to track down this elusive quarry.I looked at everything I have on fluids,aero,aeroelasticity,dynamics,vibration,phys ics,Calculus,thermo,and aero-mechanics,and can't quite isolate your equation.Some of the symbols are a bit hard to read and some of the subscripts to the symbols are just too small for my aging eyes to discern.My texts are all dated now and I suspect that more current versions would help me,however,I was hoping you could list your source and save me some investigative work.If I can see the text in full-scale,I might be able to deduce whats going on.My silly-wild-___-guess is that it's a differential equation of continuity for steady,incompressible flow,with curvilinear orthogonal coordinates.I see elements of the equation in the work of Euler,Prandtl,Bernoulli,Navier and Stokes.Some of the symbols can have more than one meaning,depending on the discipline.Without a graphic to depict the "system" its hard to know exactly what the context of the equation is,as it makes no reference to boundary layer type or Reynold's numbers.Since Cp,which is a function of Reynold's number, is absent,one can't speculate as to where you'd expect separation to occur (as in a flat plate which has virtually total separated flow).There are so many partial derivatives and symbols which might denote,for instance,velocity potential of irrotational flow or angular displacement,radius or symmetric viscous stress tensor,that its difficult to arrive at a unifying theme.The equation is very exotic and so sophisticated, I'm presuming that its an algorithm for computational fluid dynamics which can deal with flow separation,however for whats shown,a newcomer like me will never be able to crack it.Please expand on this one for us.For the trouble and cost to operate wind-tunnels,there's definitely a big future for CFD and I'd like to at least have a cursory understanding for the code used in the programming,however I'm stuck at top-dead-center.Appreciate you posting it,and hope you can fill in some blanks.Thanks again,Phil.