View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #97 (permalink)
kimer6
EcoModding Apprentice

Here's what I did... make a cardboard template with poster board and use a small ball peen hammer to gently tap around the bolt holes in the engine block and the dowells. Leave the cardboard larger than the transmission bell housing. Drill all bolt holes that you will use in the adapter, make them a loose fit. Drill the dowell pin holes out to 1/2" dia in the adapter plate. Tap the dowell holes in the plate with 1/2-13 threads. You don't care where the adapter plate sits on the engine. The trans will be the precision fit. Deburr all holes, run a file on the adapter plate to see high spots. Dissolve some wax in thinner and paint the dowells and the block around them. Bolt up the plate good and hard, mix up some steel epoxy paste and ram pack it in the adapter plate and around the dowells. This will keep your adapter in line always. If you gently tap the adapter plate off, the threads you put in will keep the epoxy dowell pin holes from moving or falling out. When you line up the transmission you can do the same thing with the transmission dowells.

Geo trans to Kubota diesel...needs 1/2" thick adapter plate and then the clutch will line up in the stock location. The flywheel holes need to be hand fit, egg shaped. The flywheel register fiy needs to be slightly counterbored to fit the larger Kubota crank.You MAY need to trim 1/8" off the input shaft of the transmission pilot or grind a relief in the end of the Kubota crank...

There is too much to tell here but you or anyone else can email me at CBX_KIMatHotmail.com ....change the at to @.... I like innovative creative problem solving and many times have to forgo precision layouts and fancy measurements. If the 2 shafts are concentric the trans and crank don't care how they got there....Kim
The Following User Says Thank You to kimer6 For This Useful Post:
JackMcCornack (04-04-2011)