View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
Varn
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Since I made my hood splitter I have been rewarded by getting 50 mpg over 500 miles. My previous best was the last tank was 47 mpg. Now my last two tanks, 900 miles have been at 49 mpg average, the average since I bought the car has been 42. My max speed is usually about 65 with usual cruising speed of 61 mph. The has weather been getting warmer above the 50's by mid day. I always use the same pump for fill ups.

I am confident that the mileage is accurate. I have a GPS to measure the miles and I use a good technique to try and get the same fill each time. I'm generally fully loaded on the highway, 5 cats and 3 medium dogs. The trunk is packed to the top with clothes, food, guns and ammo and bible. Pretty much what the average doctor and nurse carry when fleeing from Illinois. The Jetta has a lot of space for what it is. We had to drive into town today to pick up some drainage tile. We got a 100' roll into an otherwise empty car today. It doesn't weigh anything but imagine 100' of 5”o.d. tubing snaked all over the trunk and back seat. I had the rear seat back out.

From what I have heard the newer diesels are more efficient than my 1986 engine is. I can't do much about it. I don't have any special instrumentation to help drive efficiently. There isn't a computer on this vehicle that I can tap into. I don't find out what makes it run more efficiently except in 4-500 mile increments.

I am thinking about aerodynamics and don't believe the scenario of that the front is good enough and the name of the game is entirely at the back. I do understand the importance of closing the rear but am working on better equalization of the pressure at the front. Reducing the high pressure spikes there of importance as well. .

My car is rated at 34 mpg as corrected by the EPA. Except for 3 small pieces of coroplast it is stock although the car has narrow winter snow tires on it. Getting 40 mpg in this car is easy, just drive it at 70 mph. Getting 50mpg was not that difficult. Guess I have to try for 55.... probably it is going to be exponentially harder. I am really getting grumpy with paying 3.74 a gallon for diesel.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787